Friday, March 2, 2012

First blog post!

Welcome to my first blog post! Thanks to those who have continuously encouraged me in the past to start a blog about my food adventures. I was hesitant for a long time, but I'm finally doing it! Here, I will be sharing photos, some restaurant and travel reviews, and maybe a few of my favorite recipes. I believe that the belly rules the mind and food is the essence of bringing people together, so please visit often. Your support will help keep me motivated! :)

So let's start with one of my favorite restaurants, Hatsuhana! 

Hatsuhana Sushi Restaurant 
17 E 48th Street (between 5th Ave & Madison Ave) 
New York, NY 10017 
www.hatsuhana.com 

Hatsuhana is an authentic and simple Japanese restaurant that serves impeccable sushi, that's not fancy at all. I’ve been to this midtown gem twice for two very special occasions and enjoyed both experiences very much. I probably would’ve never tried this place if I didn't get two free $80 vouchers through Living Social! They're known for their "Box of Dreams" which includes nine miniature bowls containing one type of fish on a bed of vinegared rice. It's nicely presented in a lacquer box and everyone who has eaten here has raved about it. However, we decided to be different from everyone else and opted for the "Sushi Hatsuhana" where you pick 10 pieces of sushi of your choice plus 1 roll, and appetizers. I think it's more satisfying to pick my own favorite sushi anyway.

hatsuhana sushi (10)
Salmon Carppacio - Slices of raw salmon over avocado, with sprinkles of caviar and seaweed. Delicious!
hatsuhana sushi (2)
Tempura appetizer - Two pieces of shrimp and assorted vegetables delicately fried in tempura batter. The batter was very light and crispy. 
hatsuhana sushi (1)
Thinly sliced raw flounder sashimi with chives. Yummy and beautiful presentation!
hatsuhana sushi (17)
Uni - My favorite!
hatsuhana sushi (16)
Eel
hatsuhana sushi (15)
Octopus
hatsuhana sushi (14)
Scallop
hatsuhana sushi (13)
Yellowtail and Amberjack
hatsuhana sushi (12)
Salmon
hatsuhana sushi (7)
Fluke
hatsuhana sushi (6)
Mackerel
hatsuhana sushi (5)
Otoro
hatsuhana sushi (4)
Tuna and Toro
hatsuhana sushi (9)
Negi-Toro roll

This is definitely the place to go to for good quality sushi. Everything was fresh and tasty, and the wait staff was friendly and attentive. I certainly recommend making a reservation here for your next special occasion, and ask for the sushi bar upstairs. The experience at the sushi bar is much more intimate and fun, and I love watching our sushi chef prepare my sushi as I devour each tasty pieces of gem. All in all, I love this place.

Mickey's rating: 9/10
Price range: $$$

Hatsuhana on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

  1. looking so delicious. Mickey I am so excited about your blog!!! lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on starting your first blog. I'm very excited to see what's next! Going to have to tell my hubby to take me there one day and try out their sushi =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the new blog. Im actually in midtown now and quite hungry!! Must find living social deals!! Nom Nom Nom.

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...