Monday, April 30, 2012

My favorite Malaysian restaurant in NY

New Malaysia Restaurant 
48 Bowery 
New York, NY 10013
www.newmalaysiarestaurant.com

This delicious restaurant is tucked in a tunnel alley way between Bowery and Elizabeth Street, so finding this place is like finding a hidden treasure. I use to come here every weekend when I was young, since this was one of my mom’s favorite joint. The restaurant came a long way before it renovated, because I remember it looking a lot like a cafeteria with minimal décor and everything was served in cheap plastic utensils.

IMG_3886
Hainese and curry chicken with fried egg on rice combo
IMG_3887
Curry beef and fish balls noodle soup

For appetizer, I usually start off with the roti canai (not shown here), an Indian pancake dipped in curry. It’s always fun to peel away the flat flaky bread and soak it into that spicy curry before devouring it. Another favorite for most people is the Hainese chicken, served plain yet very moist with a side of mild chili and mashed ginger sauce that I can never get enough of. The real highlight for me however, is the rice. The Hainese rice is packed with yummy flavorful chicken goodness, because the rice is cooked in the same chicken broth that was used to cook the chicken. I think I could eat the rice all by itself because it’s that good.

IMG_3878
Pearl fried noodles
IMG_3983
Curry beef brisket with noodles

The pearl fried noodles and curry beef brisket are my favorite Malaysian dishes. The pearl noodles look like little mouse tails with a smooth and chewy texture fried with shrimp, pork, egg, mushrooms, scallions and bean sprouts. The curry beef brisket here is always sold out towards the end of day, so don’t come here too late if you want some. The meat is extremely tender and the aromatic curry broth is rich, filled with different spices and creamy coconut milk. I love this stuff!

IMG_3874
Singapore ice

I always make room for dessert here. They have a variety of shaved ice, laced with sweet red syrup and condense milk, with choices of fruits, red bean or jelly. The shaved ice can be served as a drink or served in a bowl, so taking it to go is never a problem. This place inspired my mom to purchase a manual ice shaver... that continues to collect dust in my basement.

All in all, the food is always tasty and consistent here so I’m never disappointed. The restaurant can get crowded, and feel a little cramped but the turnover is super fast. New Malaysia is definitely one of my go to spots in Chinatown.


Mickey’s rating: 10/10 
Price range: $$

New Malaysia Restaurant on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures! Just make sure to wear a bib if you plan on tackling the curry noodles!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...