Sunday, April 22, 2012

PPZ

Prospect Park Zoo 
450 Flatbush Ave 
Brooklyn, NY 11225 
www.prospectparkzoo.org  

IMG_3820
IMG_3819

This zoo is awesome, perfect for kids and adults. Even thought it’s a small zoo, there are plenty of cool animals to see including curious Pallas cats, baboons making silly faces, weird looking emus, geese and ducks quacking, peacocks strutting by, a posse of turtles laying in the pond, golden lion tamarin with cool hairdos, saki monkeys playing, beautiful tufted deer and more. It’s intimate, well maintained and never crowded, so I got the best view for every exhibit and attraction.

IMG_3818
IMG_3822

As you walk into the zoo, you’ll be greeted by two bright and loveable sea lions. They have a short performance prepared for you, so make sure to watch them during feeding times. They’ll make you smile by showing off a few tricks up their sleeves.

IMG_3882
IMG_3821
 
The twitchy tail prairie dogs were laying out lazily sunbathing. A couple of them popped their heads out of the burrows, just like the game whac-a-mole. There are a few viewing bubbles that you can crawl up a tunnel to pop your head out too, perfect for photo ops!

IMG_3826

I was so happy to see the red pandas up close and personal because I didn’t get to see them at The Central Park and The Bronx Zoo. They have beautiful red fur with a long furry tail, and a face that slightly resembles a raccoon. I was so fascinated by them… I want one.  

IMG_3936

Dingoes made their debut at the zoo recently, so I’m glad to welcome them with a visit. They look like domesticated dogs but are more closely related to wolves. These are also the first dingoes in a New York City zoo in 40 years. They are just adorable.

IMG_3888
IMG_3907

We nearly missed the Australian wallaby because it was so tiny. So glad I walked back looking for it because I would’ve been so upset to not have been able to say hello. I was surprised that there was no real fence around the area. The petite baby wallaby was just hanging out on the rock crevice munching on some veggies while we adore him.  

IMG_3851
IMG_3870
IMG_3872

My favorite part was the petting zoo with the barn animals. The babydoll sheep, goats, and alpacas were all very gentle and friendly. With two quarters you could purchase some pellets to feed them. They enjoyed eating off my hands with their wet tongues tickling me. The two funny looking alpacas have really big eyes hidden underneath their cute little hairdos. They brought a smile to my face.
  
IMG_3960
IMG_3875
IMG_3838
IMG_3843

I definitely prefer this zoo over The Bronx Zoo. I love that I don’t have to walk miles to get from one attraction to another. Everything was situated closely and the animals were practically right in front of me. It only takes about two hours to get through, so it’s a nice short trip before or after picnicking at Prospect Park. The Prospect Park Zoo may not have lions and tigers, but all the adorable lovable animals that they do have; you can’t help but fall in love with them too. I love this place!

Mickey’s rating: 10/10 
Price range: $

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...